Decal Design: A Guide to Designing Your Own Decals
No matter who you are or what business you have, custom decals can bring a whole new look to your retail space, personal space, or even your own goods and services. Better yet, the process of creating a decal can be fast and easy, providing you with the design you want in any shape, size, and color.
If you are considering creating your decals, this guide will walk you through everything you need to know about the process. Specifically, what you can use your decals for and how you can create your decal quickly.
What are Decals Used For?
Decals are decorative designs prepared on special paper and then transferred onto another surface such as porcelain, cloth, paper, metal, or even glass. Typically, these decals are used on:
- Water Bottles
- Guitars and other instruments
- Phone Skins
- Store Fronts
- Any Smooth Surface
What makes these decals so popular is their designs and ease of application. They often include beautifully designed images, patterns, and colors that usually last five to seven years.
How to Design a Decal
Designing decals does not need to be complicated. As long as you have the proper material and follow the below steps, you can have a unique looking decal in no time.
- Buy printable decal paper. This can include a pack of glossy, clear, or matte printable vinyl sticker paper.
- Make sure you read the instructions on the decal paper. These directions will explain what you need to have to be able to print on these sheets.
- Next, you need to find the perfect image you want to print out as a decal. Consider using high-quality graphic design products such as CorelDRAW, which will allow you to find gorgeous and attention-grabbing pictures.
- Before you print out the design on to your decal paper, make sure the design prints out exactly how you want it to on standard plain paper.
- Once you are happy with the look and the layout, you can then print your image on decal paper. Start by setting your printer to a high resolution under printer settings. This will make sure it will print clearly on your decal sheet. Then take a sheet of the printable decal paper and place it into your printer so that the glossy side is in the correct position. Make sure you verify with the instructions exactly how you need to put this paper into your printer.
- Click print.
- Once your image has been printed out on your decal paper. You need to leave the sheet alone and allow the ink to completely dry. This should take a few minutes.
- Take a sharp pair of scissors so that you can cut out your image precisely. Sometimes it may be easier to roughly cut around each design and leave a wide border. Then go back and cut around the design. This process can help you cut out the image more accurately.
- After you cut out each picture, figure out where you will place your decals. If you want to use them outside, you need to spray them with some varnish spray. This will allow them to stay waterproof and prevent them from fading in the sun.
- To use the decals, peel away the backing paper from each design and stick the decal on your chosen surface. Depending on the type of decal paper you used, some residue may be left due to the kind of adhesive they have. If you see any residue, clean it up with turpentine or white spirit.
Get the Perfect Design for Your Decal
There are endless possibilities to use decals, whether you want to incorporate them in your business or just have them spruce up your water bottle. No matter your reasons, when you use CorelDRAW, you can create the perfect decal design in no time. With a simple click of a mouse, we can bring ideas to life and help you make the gorgeous graphics you need with ease.
Need to Download CorelDRAW?
Download a Free 15-Day Trial Now!